About Me

Alberta, Canada
What's My Deal? - - - There is so much to say, but I will give you the basics in regards to this blog. I am a Canadian 20 something woman married to a wonderful man, and we are the parents to our wondeful son who was born in the fall of 2010. As you will read, I am a supporter of breastfeeding, baby wearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, and so much more, but mostly learning about babies! Oh, and I also love reading blogs and playing jigsaw online!!! I blog to share things that I have learned, read, heard and experienced.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Baby Led Weaning is Fantastic!

Alan and I are loving Baby Led Weaning (BLW)

Why you ask???

1.  Sutton is over 6 months old, he doesn't NEED purees.
2.  We won't have to deal with transitioning textures.
3.  Sutton loves to sit and eat with us.
4.  We eat healthier as Sutton eats what we eat.
5.  We are able to sit and eat our meals without entertaining Sutton or holding him.
6.  Going out to eat is easy...nothing for us to bring.
7.  Learning is constant, he is even starting to use a pincer grip!
8.  It is so cute!!!

Many people as us if we are scared he will choke.  Of course we are,  but anytime he has food no matter what age he is, the risk of choking will always be present. He has gagged many many times, and even vomited a few.  This is a safety mechanism and will prevent him from truly choking.  He can handle pieces that are too large well, and often spits food out.  Sutton is always supervised, we never leave his side.  He is almost 7 months old, and can sit well, has an interest in food, can move food around with his around, and can chew and swallow.  Pureed baby food is commercially produced in mass quantities and sold everywhere; it has been this way for years and years, but due to the fact that we (most of us) no longer wean our babies at 3 or 4 months doesn't make it an essential product anymore.  BLW is not a new concept at all, in fact it dates back as far as breastfeeding....also known as the beginning of time.  BLW is a natural transition for Sutton, especially because he is breastfed, he has experienced different tastes, just through my milk. 

I do understand why people do purees though.  The same with breastfeeding, not everyone does it, and not everyone does it as long as I intend to.  I respect this, and I don't judge.  I do feel that BLW is great for my family though.

Sutton has tried so many foods, and his favourites change almost daily.  He loved bananas at the beginning and no longer goes for them first.  He does seem to have a way in which he eats, but I haven't figured it out yet.  Occasionally we use the mesh bag thing, it is a great little tool, especially for some meats, fruits which aren't an ideal size for him, and popsicle type things.

Sutton usually only wants to eat food at suppertime.  Sometimes he will snack on an apple or something I eat throughout the day.  He is still breastfed as his main source of nourishment, but enjoys to eat, and does swallow some.

Here are a million photos of our fantastic suppers!

He started with Oatmeal Cereal



Toast!



                                             He sure can mangle a banana well!



Watermelon!



                                           A happy baby is a baby with yogurt!!!



Mmm, meat!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment