About Me

Alberta, Canada
What's My Deal? - - - There is so much to say, but I will give you the basics in regards to this blog. I am a Canadian 20 something woman married to a wonderful man, and we are the parents to our wondeful son who was born in the fall of 2010. As you will read, I am a supporter of breastfeeding, baby wearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, and so much more, but mostly learning about babies! Oh, and I also love reading blogs and playing jigsaw online!!! I blog to share things that I have learned, read, heard and experienced.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Penis or Vagina????

So, yesterday was the day I had been anticipating for exactly 3 months, the day of my first pre-natal appointment I was given a req for my my ultrasound.
It suprises me that the day has come and gone, my 2nd Trimester diagnostic ultrasound!
The tech was really nice.  The day didn't turn out as planned.  I am horribly sick again, and ended up leaving work to go to the hospital to get my breathing checked out, as it was getting more difficult to breathe and my inhaler simply wasn't working.  Alan ended up driving me to work and the entire time, I coughed so much that I was heaving and puking into a bag.  I was very concerned that I wasn't getting enough oxygen and in turn the baby wouldn't be either.  And also, I had a lot of pressure in my abdomen, and wasn't sure if I could have ruptured something.  I had no idea. 
So, after that, we grabbed some lunch, head off to Indigo Books for a minute, and then to the Clinic.  I was there early, and they were able to get my in early as well.  So, that was great.  The only downside was that I didn't drink enough water.  (I thought I could fool them)  The tech then made me drink 5 styrofoam glasses of warm water!  I know, you must think I have lost all my morals - I DRANK FROM A STYROFOAM CUP!!!  This is something I NEVER do!!
So, after my warm water earth ruining chug event, she starts.  And I mention to her that WE would like to know the sex of the baby.  A couple minutes later, she simply states "You are having a baby boy"  she turns the screen so I can see it, and shows me that there is in fact a penis and a scrotum.  It is 100% confirmed.  There was no mistaking it.  We also saw the cord, so I know it wasn't mistaken for a penis, as I have heard that this can sometimes happen.  I was shocked that she told me like that, as I said WE, not I.  Oh well.  (My reaction was simply me stating "I knew it", I didn't feel much emotion wise, I think I just wanted Alan there to be with me, to experience it all.)
Later I have to make her stop as I have the worst paine ver in my kidney.  Same as the pains I have had so many times before. I knew it was my kidney, and I needed to get up and walk around. I told her about it, and she didn't seem too concerned.  Then it became so bad, that I just sat up, and got off the table and moved around.  I threw off that disgusting slimy hospital gown and was only in my bra and underware.  Note:  My dignity is already gone!!!
I was in so much pain that I couldn't even speak well, and she did look atmy kidneys, but nothing she saw was unusual.  I also don't think she is a qualified kidney inspection expert.  I even looked at he screen to see if I saw an entire family of bugs eatting away at my vital organs.  I saw no such thing. 
So...back to the good stuff!!!!  Alan comes into the room finally, (I was just finishing peeing) as the diagnostics part of the xam is over.  He walks in, I lay back on the bed.....still pretty much naked, as I wasn't putting that gross slimy lubricated thing all over my newly shaped body.  I smile at him, and tell him I know what it is.  The tech then shows him the head, the arms, leg, spine and penis.  He was so shocked, I think he was convinced it was going to be a girl.  He looked so suprised and so happy, that I fully reacted and got tears in my own eyes.  His smile was perfect, and was ear to ear!!!
Then the calls and texts started, and usually those I called knew why I was calling, so when they picked up, I simply screamed out "I saw a penis!!!"  hahaha
All in all, despite all my health problems that day, it was perfect!!!!!!  We know the sex of our baby and are so happy!!!!!!
Congratulations to us AGAIN!!!!

2 comments:

  1. It's such a nice story about Alan (not your kidney's!)
    I'm so happy. SO happy. I get all teary too. That moment must be really surreal for a husband. This is all so exciting.

    I'm sorry to hear about your breathing. Have they tested you for asthma?
    Perhaps the coughing attack/breathing started a little more overboard because of your anxiety and anticipation for this day finally arriving, do you know what I mean?

    And as for your kidney thing - remember when you collapsed in the shower on our vacation?
    Is it the same thing?
    Randi, you have to get that checked out, seriously. Things dont just hurt until you can't speak for no reason.

    Aside from me giving you a lecture (it runs in the family haha) I am so freaking excited.
    I can't believe you are halfway to the due date.

    I am sending you that Doula stuff IMMEDITLEY!

    I also can't believe I'm the first to comment on this blog. JESUS!!!!

    I expect to be called Aunty Pearly. Just as an FYI.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! I also teared a bit reading Alan's reaction. I had a feeling it was going to be a boy and think you are going to be a great mommy :)

    I agree, get the kidney's checked - something seems a tad off if you are in that much pain! It's possible you have a kidney stone maybe? I know a few people who have had them and the pain is supposed to be pretty unreal. Better to be safe than sorry!

    Congrats again! Yay for penises! xo

    ReplyDelete